Deep red garnet color with the magenta rim this variety is known for in its youth. You’ll enjoy aromas of cassis and spicy bramble fruit as it opens up. This wine also has an initial pop of tropical starfruit followed by herbal hints of mint and rosemary and cola. We love the dense, dark cherry fruit flavors across the palate, with a smooth and seamless but still bold tannic structure. This wine will age for 7 - 9 years from vintage.
These grapes came in the door with lignified stems, so we were able to hold back 20% of the harvest for whole cluster fermentation. The remaining 80% of the harvest was crushed and destemmed prior to fermentation. This wine fermented in a 425 gallon stainless steel tank. During fermentation we practiced frequent pumpovers four times per day for 10 minutes to aid extraction.
Aged in 80% new medium and medium plus toast French oak for 18 months.
Leaner red meats or poultry with dark meat are classic complements for malbec. Blue cheese and various cured meats will match the intensity of this wine and contrast well with its fruit forward characteristics. Try it with preparations that have sage, rosemary, or a creamy mushroom sauce for great contrasting flavors. For a vegetarian pairing, roasted mushrooms and stuffed red bell peppers will pair quite well.
98% Malbec, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon
128 cases produced
$40 per bottle